- On February 27, 2023
- by: Ceeva Marketing Team
- 5 minutes Read
Pittsburgh businesses and nonprofits are taking a harder look at cybersecurity in 2023. In fact, more than 100 business and nonprofit leaders joined us last month to learn about cybersecurity in Pittsburgh and how they can protect their organizations from cyber threats. An important element of this defense is cybersecurity awareness and training.
The widespread use of new technologies and digital trends has brought new security challenges that businesses and non-profits will have to address to protect their sensitive information from cybercriminals.
Some of the technologies that have introduced new security challenges include:
- Cloud computing: This technology enables businesses to store and access their data and applications over the internet, reducing the need for physical servers. However, it has also made it easier for cybercriminals to access sensitive data remotely, leading to data breaches and other cyber attacks.
- 5G: This fifth-generation mobile network has increased internet speeds and enabled more devices to connect to the internet simultaneously. While this is a significant improvement, it has also opened up more attack surfaces for cybercriminals to exploit.
- Internet of Things (IoT): IoT refers to a network of devices connected to the internet that can communicate with each other. While this has increased efficiency and productivity in the workplace, it has also made it easier for cybercriminals to access networks through devices such as printers and security cameras.
This article discusses the importance of cybersecurity in Pittsburgh and beyond. It explores three of the main reasons cybersecurity awareness and training are crucial: the rising threat of cybercrime, the risks of employee cybersecurity ignorance, and the need for cybersecurity awareness at all levels.
The Rising Global Threat of Cyber crime
Cyber crime has been steadily on the rise over the last few years. In 2020, the FBI received 791,790 internet and cyber crime complaints, with victims reporting over $4.1 billion in losses!
Even big names like Microsoft are not immune to cyberattacks. In March 2021, Microsoft’s Exchange email system was hacked by a criminal group. The group gained access and stole data from over 30,000 customers, including small businesses and government officials in the US. This incident highlights the vulnerability that even the largest and most secure organizations face. And it’s not just larger organizations – 43% of cyber attacks target small businesses!
You may think that your organization is already protected by some of the more widely used cybersecurity methods. Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is often touted as a strong defense against cyberattacks, but even it is not foolproof. Reports of phishing attacks doubled in 2020, along with a rise in adversary-in-the-middle (AiTM) phishing campaigns that can bypass MFA under the right circumstances.
As hackers continue to develop new tactics and tools to launch attacks, businesses of all sizes must remain attentive. With the increasing sophistication of cybercriminals, it's essential to work with a provider of IT Services in Pittsburgh to stay ahead of evolving threats.
Strengthen Your Company's Security with Employee Cybersecurity Education
In today's digital age, cyber threats pose a significant risk to any organization. Educating employees on cybersecurity in Pittsburgh is critical to ensuring that they have the necessary knowledge and skills to identify and prevent cyber attacks, safeguarding the company's assets, reputation, and customer trust.
Common cybersecurity mistakes include:
- Clicking on suspicious links or downloading attachments from unknown sources.
- Using weak passwords or sharing passwords with others.
- Leaving their computers unlocked and unattended.
With the right training and awareness, employees can become a strong line of defense against cyber threats. By taking proactive steps to educate employees about the best practices for cybersecurity, Pittsburgh businesses can avoid the negative impacts of security breaches, such as:
- Ransomware attacks that lock down your company’s systems.
- Legal fees that result from data breaches or other security incidents.
- An increase in your cybersecurity insurance premiums after a successful attack.
- A loss of future revenue due to a loss of public trust and damage to your company’s reputation.
We recommend partnering with providers of IT Services in Pittsburgh, such as Ceeva, to develop engaging and interactive training programs that offer hands-on exercises, simulations, and rewards for demonstrating sound security practices. This approach enables employees to learn about increasing cybersecurity in an enjoyable and interactive manner.
Download our free cybersecurity handbook now and take the necessary steps to secure your organization’s private data today!
Moreover, creating a culture of awareness and cooperation is crucial to the success of any program for cybersecurity in Pittsburgh. All employees should be encouraged to report any suspected security incidents or potential vulnerabilities to the IT team, ensuring that everyone is invested in safeguarding the organization's assets.
The Need for Cybersecurity in Pittsburgh: From Small Organizations to Large Corporations
Smaller businesses often lack the resources or expertise to implement robust security measures, making them an attractive target for cybercriminals. Hackers have an ever-growing arsenal of tactics to breach a company’s defenses and gain unauthorized access to sensitive information, such as:
- Phishing emails: Hackers use social engineering to trick employees into clicking on a link or downloading an attachment that contains malware.
- Malware: Hackers use software designed to infiltrate a computer system and steal sensitive information.
- Social engineering tactics: Hackers use psychological manipulation to trick employees into revealing sensitive information or granting access to restricted areas.
Once they gain access, hackers can steal sensitive data, hold it for ransom, or cause significant damage to a company’s reputation. This is why even small businesses must prioritize cybersecurity to protect their assets and prevent devastating financial losses.
Ensuring all employees know their responsibilities in maintaining a secure IT environment is crucial. This includes understanding the risks and how to avoid them, practicing good cybersecurity hygiene, and reporting any suspicious activities.
Protect Your Business from Cyber Threats: Prioritize Cybersecurity Awareness Training with Pittsburgh IT Services
No business is immune to cyber threats, and it’s not a matter of if but when an attack will occur. The potential costs of a cyber incident can be catastrophic for any business, with long-lasting consequences. However, by prioritizing cybersecurity in Pittsburgh and taking proactive steps to mitigate risks, you can safeguard your business and protect the personal data of your customers and partners.
Every employee, from the IT department to the C-suite, is responsible for contributing to a safer digital environment. With ongoing training and education, regular assessments of security policies, and robust IT infrastructure, we can take significant steps toward protecting ourselves and our communities from the growing threat of cybercrime.
Businesses must prioritize cybersecurity to protect their assets and prevent significant financial losses. This can be achieved by partnering with a managed IT service providers that offer affordable and comprehensive solutions for cybersecurity in Pittsburgh.
At Ceeva, we understand the importance of cybersecurity in Pittsburgh and how to protect your organization from potential threats. Our IT experts have the knowledge and experience to help you assess your cybersecurity risk, implement solutions to safeguard your data and systems, and provide ongoing support to ensure your technology runs smoothly.
If you want to protect your employees better but need help figuring out where to start, let us help you get your cybersecurity awareness training started as part of our IT services in Pittsburgh! Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you keep your business secure.
Subscribe blog for latest updates
By submitting this you will be receiving our latest updates on post.